Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Nazi Nurse

     I decided that Nazi Nurse deserved a whole post to herself. I loved almost all of our nurses! Spending that much time with them while hoovering over my child was very educational and interesting experience. But why oh why did I have to get HER on one of the most important days of  my life. It is a small world and I ended up knowing a lot of people who worked in the NICU or I knew people who knew one of the nurses and whenever I mentioned about Nazi nurse (keeping her name completely confidential) everyone still knew who I was talking about.
    Finally the day dawned when I might be able to hold Corbin for the first time. I had to go up to my room for a little while and I ended up getting trapped by the pump man. As he spent his time explaining how the electronic contraption worked the time ticked away and my favorite nurse went home and a new nurse took charge. The doctors had finally taken the line out of Corbin's belly button so I could now hold him. I told the nurse that I was ready to hold him. She wouldn't let me. It was not on one of his scheduled feeding times so I had to wait a couple of hours. Not something you tell a hormonal woman about her baby she had been dying to hold. I told her that I was told I could as soon as the line came out. And then her question that will be forever ingrained in my mind "You don't want to hold him now do you?" I can't believe that seriously came out of her mouth. Well I had to twist her arm (and was thinking of some not so kind ways of persuasion) but she finally relinquished and allowed me to hold my own child for 10 minutes. She didn't offer me a blanket to wrap him up, she didn't help move any of his cords around so I juggled it all myself and held this scrawny little baby and let him freeze to death for 10 minutes so I could cherish our first moments together.

No comments:

Post a Comment